Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hurricane Howie

I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the family...Hurricane Howie!



As some of you may know, I lost my buddy Scooter to diabetes on June 21st.  Scooter was such a staple in my daily life, my whole world was turned upside down.  We still have our other two rug ruts, Cheeko and Peanut, but I guess we are just a three dog family!  I spent weeks looking for a dog that could fit in and be the new addition to our pack. All of mine and John's dogs have been adopted and we didn't want to change this.  One night I stumbled onto a site and found this adorable guy, but kept looking because we originally wanted a female...but something kept bringing me back. He was the last of his litter from a breeder and no one picked him. Time went by and before the breeder knew it, he was almost six months old and she listed him on the adoption list.  John and I decided he was the one. We drove to Antlers, Oklahoma Friday night when John got home from work. The three hours it took to get there were so exciting, I thought I was going to bust! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Once I saw him I knew we had made the right choice!

It is uncanny how much he reminds me of Scooter. He is very shy and took to me very quickly. We are in the process of trying to socialize him. He seems to be afraid of men, including John.  In the last 3 weeks since we picked him up, his social skills have improved a lot.  He makes me smile every day with his playful antics and loves to be hugged and actually hugs back. Nothing could ever replace my Scooer-boo, but Howie is making it much easier to remember all the fun times I had with him.

R.I.P Scooter 1998-2011
P.S.
Yes!!! Howie is named after the original "Hurricane Howie" from Big Brother Season 6! I know he will bring me as many laughs as the original did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment